If you’re experiencing intermittent connectivity or non-existent Wi-Fi connectivity with your Amazon Echo (to bluetooth speaker/smart home devices), here’s what to try:
1. REBOOT MODEM/ROUTER and turn your Echo off and on again
2. REPOSITION Echo away from devices that might be interfering with the signal
Move your Echo as high as possible - for example, a bookshelf.
3. CHANGE WIRELESS FREQUENCY:
If your modem is dual-band (Has both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless band connections),
try switching the device from the 2.4 GHz frequency to the 5 GHz frequency or vice versa.
NOTE: 2.4 GHz is better for devices that are farther away from the router
Especially if the signal is having to pass through walls
4. DOWNLOAD LATEST FIRMWARE OR SOFTWARE UPDATES for your devices
NOTE: Many smart home devices require you to enable it as a "skill" in the Alexa app
Open the Alexa app
Click the MENU > SKILLS
Search for the manufacturer to your smart home device
(Some devices don't require a "skill" and can be linked just by asking Alexa to discover devices)
5. BATTERY: Make sure your bluetooth device is properly charged and the battery is not low
6. UN-PAIR AND RE-PAIR your Bluetooth device with Alexa:
Open Alexa app
Tap your Echo device
Select Bluetooth > Clear all paired devices
To re-pair the devices, say "Pair" around Alexa to place it in discovery mode.
Go to the Bluetooth settings on your smart home device (or app) in order to pair
7. FACTORY RESET your Amazon Echo/Alexa to give it a FRESH START:
There's a reset button next to the power adapter.
Use a straightened out paper clip to hold the button in until the light ring turns orange.
Your settings will clear out and you will need to set it up again
Some other causes could be:
- Internet speed and Firewall on your network
If your connection is less than 0.5Mbps, you're probably out of luck for streaming.
Amazon advises you to make sure the following ports are open:
123, 443, 4070, 5353, 40317, 49317, 33434
*For instructions to open ports on your modem/router, we have guides for different Motorola models on our main guide site here
Please call or email tech support if you are not comfortable doing this on your own and need instructions:
Email us or call us at 1-800-753-0797
(Monday-Friday 8:30am-10pm. Saturday 8:30am-5pm Eastern Time)