Your Cable Modem/Router comes from the factory with a unique default Wireless Network Name (SSID), and a unique default Wireless Security Key/Password. These default settings for your router are listed on the bottom label of your unit. Most users can go ahead and use the default settings.
You may want to change your wireless settings if the wireless devices on your network are already configured to use an existing wireless network name and password. Instead of having to reconfigure all the devices on your network, you can change the Cable Modem/Router to match the existing settings used by your devices. You may also want to personalize the wireless network as you desire.
To change the Network Name and Password:
Note: You may connect to your device either by Ethernet connection or connecting to the default wireless network before proceeding with below steps.
- Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc)
- In the address bar of the web browser type 192.168.0.1 and hit Enter
- When at the login page type "admin" for the Username and "motorola" for the Password, click Login
- When at the Basic Status and Settings Page, look for the Wi-Fi Privacy Settings section
- Place a check mark in the box to Show Key for the 5GHz and allow the page to reload
- Place a check mark in the box to Show Key for the 2.4GHz and allow the page to reload
- Delete the current Network Name and type your desired or existing Network Name (do this for both 5GHZ and 2.4GHz)
- Delete the current Password and type your desired Password (do this for both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz) and click Save
- After the changes are made and saved, you will notice disconnection from the wireless network. At that point, you will need to reconnect to the new or existing network you just created or previously created
Password can be from 8 - 63 characters long. You can use upper and lower case letters (a – z and A – Z), numbers (0 - 9) and special characters (e.g. $_/& etc.) except the single quote (‘).
Network Name can be from 6 - 32 characters long. You can use the upper and lower case letters (a – z and A – Z), numbers (0 - 9) and special characters (e.g. $_/& etc.) except the single quote (‘).