This Guide: Wireless range & Intermittent connection for the MG7540, MG7550, MG7700
(most Motorola cable modem/routers have the same interface. If you have
a different model number, you should still be able to follow this guide)
- Weak Wireless
- Dropped internet connections
- Intermittent internet connection
*Did you know?
Each computer or device that’s added to your network will reduce your total bandwidth. That’s because all these devices are sharing not only the same wireless network, but they’re also sharing the same Internet connection from your broadband service provider.
Say you pay for high speed internet - 100 Mbps. In ideal conditions, you expect to get 100 Mbps on your laptop. Now you add another device - your spouse has an iPad. Now your available bandwidth on your laptop is 50 Mbps. Then your teenager comes home from school and turns on his Playstation or Xbox. Now your available bandwidth is 25 Mbps or less, depending on how bandwidth heavy the game he's playing is.
Connecting multiple devices, including blue tooth speakers, wireless printers, home surveillance cameras, etc., results in reduced performance due to each device getting a smaller bandwidth share.
Power off or disconnect the wireless connection on any device that is not actively using your router. This will at least relieve some of your bandwidth.
Connect to the 5 GHz Band
The 2.4 GHz band suffers from interference from other devices (cordless telephones, microwave ovens, wireless printers, baby monitors).
If you change to the 5 GHz band, you will avoid interference and may stop experiencing connectivity problems.
Placement of your modem/router
Do not place your modem inside a cabinet or closet. You want to place your modem in an open area, as high as possible. (Placing on a high shelf does wonders)
You want to move it as high as you can from the floor
Optimize your wireless connection - Modem Settings:
1. Open a web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc)
2. In the address bar of web browser type 192.168.0.1 and hit Enter
3. When at the login page, type "admin" for the Username, and type "motorola" for the Password, click Login
4. From the top right corner, click on Advanced
5. Click on Wireless in the top menu, then click on WMM
Click the Power Save Support drop-down arrow and select 'Off.'
Click Save (do this for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks)
6. From the Wireless menu, click on Advanced
Click the OBSS Coexistence drop-down arrow to: 0 (Disabled) and click Save
(do this for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks)
7. From the Wireless menu, click on Basic
Select the 2.4 GHz tab first.
Change the Channel from 'Auto' to either 1, 6, or 11.
Set Bandwidth to 20 MHz. Click Save
Click the 5 GHz tab.
Change the Channel from 'Auto' to 161/80 and click Save
8. Click Back to Basic Page
9. Click Log out and power cycle the modem. (Turning it off for 15 seconds then turning it back on).
10. Restart any device that may be connected to modem via Ethernet cord. If you have any wireless devices connected, reset Network Settings on those devices to allow them to re-sync with wireless networks accordingly.
*More Tips for wireless environments:
Here are more tips to improve wireless in your home or home office, without logging into your modem. Go to the section "Tips in your home to improve wireless speed" Other things to improve speed