- Power both the cable modem and the router off.
- If it is not already connected, plug the Ethernet cable into the router’s WAN port on one end, and the cable modem's LAN port on the other end. Make sure that the plugs are firmly seated at each end (you should hear a click when this happens, and you shouldn't be able to pull the plug out again without depressing the plastic tab).
- Power-up the cable modem. Wait for the ONLINE light to be solidly lit.
- Power-up the router. Wait for the router to complete its power-up sequence.
- The LAN light on your modem should be lit to show the Ethernet connection to your router. Follow your router’s instructions for setting up the router and connected devices.